All posts filed under: Favprojects

Budget bathroom makeover

The best thing about owning my home is that I can do whatever I want to it. Aaaaannnd the worst thing about owning my home is that I can do whatever I want. Doing whatever I want means I have to first actually make decisions and then find a way to make those ideas a reality without taking out a second mortgage to afford them! I’d love to be able to completely remodel my bathroom but until I can afford such fanciful things I decided to give it a facelift over the last couple of days. I also wanted to keep costs down as much as possible which I was actually successful at doing for once! Thank goodness I love a little bit of DIY. I outlined my costs below for those who are interested :) This was the bathroom when I first moved in a couple of months ago: And after three coats of paint, some greenery and some decorative sparkle… Not too shabby for a grand total of about $65! I built this hanging …

Disco ball planter

I had a wild idea a few weeks ago – how cool would a disco ball planter be!? I’d never seen one before and I thought with a nice green flowing plant it could look really lovely sitting on my newly built shelves. Since making this project I actually have seen that there is a company that sells something similar (go figure right!) but they are pretty expensive. Mine was a lot more effort than I had originally thought but it was still lots of fun and it’s pretty excellent when you’re able to realise an idea and it turns out in the end just as you imagined! First things first was that I bought a disco ball. I then made a mould from paper mache roughly the same size as the ball. I did three layers over a few days as they dried because I wanted the mould to be very strong and thick. It wasn’t great weather during this stage so that was a little painful – took ages to dry! Yes I …

Living wall art

I’ve been wanting to make one of these for a while but didn’t have a good enough reason to – until Christmas that is! I made two as gifts, they were more work than I had anticipated but still really fun to make and worth it overall. Thanks to my Dadsie who did much of the hard labour with the frames <3 Materials: Succulents of choice Picture frames Weedmat Chicken wire or gutter mesh Shadow box (premade or your can make your own) Potting mix Tacks and nails Hooks and hanging wire Scissors Hammer Nail punch Thin tool like a pencil or end of a spoon etc. Water Many years ago my family acquired quite a number of these vintage cheese boxes. They have come in handy for so many things over the years! They’ve been used for many a DIY project and met even more storage needs. I’m pretty sure this one I claimed is the very last unallocated box (when I say unallocated I mean full of random junk in the shed that I felt better belonged scattered over Dad’s workbench). Dad measured …

DIY: Test tube spice rack

I am really stoked with how this project turned out! I saw something similar in a shop that I loved but it was almost $300 and I thought, pffft I could make that! And I did. Admittedly it was a little more complicated than I anticipated and it’s certainly not perfect but for the first time I’d even used a drill I am pretty chuffed with myself! Here are the completed photos, below is a little step by step if you’re interested. The original one I saw in a shop wasn’t quite the same but similar and was around $270 and held 12 tubes. I spent less than $40 to make this and mine holds 22 tubes :) And I used larger test tubes than the “standard” size because these will mostly fit an entire 35g spice bottle, like the ones you can buy from most supermarkets. Also I love that they have a flat bottom rather than a domed one, it means I can pull one out while cooking and stand it on the …

Before & after: gumball terrarium

This is probably one of the most favourite things I’ve ever made. I had a lot of fun! I bought the bubblegum machine in its original, tired form from a friend. I then sanded it back, gave it an undercoat and then a couple of coats of this glorious glossy blue. I then cut a piece of perspex to size (Ikea frames! They all have flexible plastic rather than glass – perfect!) to sit inside the base of the gumball machine and sealed it up to make sure that it was watertight. After that I built a simple moss terrarium inside and added a cutesy bunny and then I was finished :) It was really hard to part with this but it went to a great home and I’m happy that others loved it as much as I did too.