I posted a photo of this great salad dish I made during the week and quite a lot of people asked me for the recipe, so here it is! I slightly modified the original recipe I found and also halved the amounts as it served 8 and I was only cooking for 1! As much as I enjoyed it I don’t think I could eat the same of anything for 8 meals! So anyway, my version serves 4 but multiply the ingredient list for whatever suits you. Oh also just to clarify before we dive in – this is a warm salad, not cold :)
1 tin chickpeas
1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
2 bay leaves
1/2 cup peanut or olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon garam masala
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 red capsicum, cut into strips
2 medium zucchinis, sliced on the diagonal
Salt & pepper
1. Drain chickpeas and add to saucepan with 1 cup of cold water. Peel 1 onion and chop in half. Add to chickpeas. Add cloves and bay leaves, bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
2. Chop remaining onion roughly. Heat oil in another saucepan and sauté the onions and minced garlic. Add all spices and cook briefly to release fragrance.
3. Strain chickpeas, discarding the onion, cloves and bay leaves from mixture but retaining the soaking water.
4. Add chickpeas to the spice mixture including one cup of the soaking water, as well as the tomato paste and red capsicum. Cover and simmer gently for 10 minutes or until the liquid evaporates. Stir through zucchini and salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat.
5. Serve on bed of baby spinach. Enjoy!